Saturday, April 13, 2013

More proud of failure

As my school years were put behind me, I started to realize something. My thought process was better when I was failing. I was also a better person during my final years. It’s my years as a mindless drone that I resent.

I was a tool of my teachers during my early school years. I mindlessly did what I was told, and I made the schools look good. I sacrificed myself for my grades.

I eventually corrected my mistakes, but those corrections killed my GPA. What’s more important, being a good person or being a good student? I find it disgusting that I even have to ask. You might disagree with me, but it’s better to be a good person.

When was I a better person? When I was struggling in school. I’m ashamed of what I did and how I lived to get good grades. I’m not ashamed of failing several classes in my final three years of school (and coming close to failing in my Freshman year).

I am proud of myself for standing up for what’s right (although it was a watered down standing up for what’s right) and pursuing human decency. While I still have a way to go on both of those things, that’s far more worthy of praise than good grades. I would much rather talk about my F’s than my A’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment