Monday, April 29, 2013

Misconception #30: We need to push kids to meet high standards

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


The schools constantly underestimate students. We are aiming too low. Does that mean that we need higher standards? No.

Standards-based reform does not work, and it never will. The problem is that the ideal education varies greatly between students. Pushing for high standards would ensure that students aim for predetermined goals that were not customized for individuals. Rather than pursuing personal interests or strengths, students are chasing after conformity.

If you can standardize individuality, perhaps higher standards would work. More realistically, any standards thrown at students will enforce the schools’ inability to meet the needs of individuals. That’s how I like to view students. They’re individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment