Friday, November 13, 2015

The three E's

It's no secret that I disagree with both the three R's and STEM. I have countered with the three W's, and I am now following up with the three E's. The three E's of Education (should it be four E's?) are the goals that we should have for the educational process.


Encourage

Children are born with a natural desire to learn. We should be fueling that desire. If they continue the desire to learn, they will learn. I have generally stated that I prefer teachers to motivate and provide resources. Encouragement would qualify as motivation.

Enable

We need to provide learners with resources. That's essentially what I'm saying here. If you want a child to learn, you need to make sure the learners have everything they need. We need to enable those who want to learn.

Embrace

Education is ultimately the responsibility of the learner. When a child is learning, we should accept that learning is going to happen. We should not try to step in and take control. This is a big problem within the teaching profession. Teachers like to take control. I have never had a teacher who was willing to get out of the way. My schooling years would have been drastically different if teachers were willing to embrace rather than restrict the education I was providing myself. I think it's safe to say that I have not been the only person harmed by the stubbornness and arrogance of the teaching profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment