Saturday, December 5, 2015

Misconception #52: Teachers care about education

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


One thing that I will concede about teachers is that they mean well. They hear that education is important, and embrace the job associated with education. Unfortunately, the schools essentially redefined education to refer to their anti-educational process, and supporting the schools is not the same as supporting education.

Teachers overwhelmingly take education for granted. They join the profession not because they truly believe in education, but because they want to feel as though they are making a difference in society. Of course, what they feel is not necessarily rooted in reality.

In the minds of most teachers, they are pro-education. The problem is that they don't care enough about education to look into what education really means. This has put them in a position where they are actively fighting a war against education and don't even realize it. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time with the argument that people engaged in a war against education truly care about education.

No comments:

Post a Comment