Thursday, December 11, 2014

Misconception #44: You personally benefitted from schooling

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


I'm sure most people who look at my anti-schooling (pro-educational) rants think they actually benefited from our schools. I don't buy it.


When we are told something repeatedly as a fact, we tend to accept it. Among the things we are told is that schooling is important for us. Most people accept that as fact.

If you feel that you are adequately educated and you went through the schools, you will likely credit them for your work. That doesn't establish that you would not have received a quality education without them. Considering the anti-educational values that form the foundation of our schools, it is highly unlikely that you would have done any worse without their restrictions.

If you attended school, I can assure you that you could have done better. If you took full charge over your education, you would definitely be better educated today. I don't even know you, and I can say this with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment