Thursday, January 23, 2014

Misconception #37: Schools are innovating to meet the needs of their students

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


The schools brag when they actually show a willingness to change. They insist that they are innovating to meet the needs of their students. In reality, the schools are unwilling to make meaningful changes, and the changes they do make do not benefit the individuals.

I have read about schools that change their text books. They praise themselves for adopting entirely new systems of teaching. Their core methods remain intact.

I actually remember a big debate over which text books schools should use. Some people felt that the old books would be best for all students. Others felt that the newer books were best for all students. As far as I’m aware, nobody acknowledged that the best book is variable. Some students would learn better from the old book. Others students would learn better from the new book.

All changes that the schools are willing to implement are merely on the surface. They think a quick change automatically means that they are addressing the needs of their students, but they forget something very important. They forget about their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment