Saturday, September 7, 2013

Education vs. "Education"

There two very different meanings of education. One is highly variable in how exactly people define it and what qualifies. My definition: the development of new skills and general mental development. The other and more popular meaning is schooling. I do not personally accept that meaning.

Education should never be used to refer to the schools. Hearing the mistake so often, I’m sure I have joined in a few times over the years. Usually, I will use “schooling” instead (although school originally meant leisure). Sometimes I will use “true education” to emphasize that I am using the correct meaning when I feel that others might be confused. Other times, I might put education in quotation marks to emphasize that the word is being used improperly.

Which do you think is more valuable, education or “education?” Personally, I prefer education. Unfortunately, I appear to be part of the minority. An overwhelming majority of the population seems willing to sacrifice education for “education.” You even have powerful organizations such as the N“E”A engaging in a war against education.

Education and “education” are contradictory concepts that cannot coexist. It’s time to get rid of one, and I’m sure you know which one I would prefer to eliminate. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment