Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Misconception #34: Schooling is vital to the future

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


The leaders of the future will be products of the schools. Does that mean that we need to push the schools harder? Absolutely not. We need to support education, not schooling.

We have already seen many of the drawbacks of over-schooling. We are living in the most mindless era in history. If we want to improve things for future generations, the key isn't to become even more reliant on the schools. Instead, we need to embrace the idea that practical learning comes outside of the classroom.

We need to become more open to educational rights. Children should not be prohibited from learning on the grounds that learning will get in the way of schoolwork. We also need to address educational discrimination. Our future leaders should be highly capable individuals with ideas. I care far more about the ability to move forward than the ability to obtain a piece of paper.

We have become regressive. How is that supposed to help future generations? If we really want to help, we need to move off of our current anti-educational approach to "education." Instead, let's embrace practical education. Let's end mass mindlessness and finally move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment