Monday, February 25, 2013

Misconception #28: You can’t learn outside of school.

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


People without a diploma are considered uneducated. This is primarily due to the assumption that without the schools, you can’t learn.

Most people don’t actually say that you can’t learn elsewhere, but their actions seem to rely on this belief. As I said before, people feel that if you can read, you should thank your teachers. That means that if you weren’t in school, you wouldn’t have been able to learn to read.

Keep in mind how the schools work. They take information that is viewed as valuable and pass it on to the children. The nature of schooling only allows teachers to pass along what is already known. How did the information become available to the schools in the first place? Everything taught in school had to have been learned elsewhere first.

Since everything had to have been learned elsewhere first, it should be obvious to everyone that everything that can be learned in school can be learned elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment