Thursday, July 5, 2012

Misconception #21: With the decline of intelligence, we need to push schooling more than ever before

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


One of the more pathetic defenses of the importance of schooling relies on the idea that people are dumber than ever before. People associate schooling with mental development, and it seems obvious to some that pushing mental development harder will reverse the trend.

We are more reliant on schooling now than ever before. If the schools are so good at improving mental ability, then how has an increased reliance on the process corresponded with a decline in mental ability? If these people are right about the schools being the answer, then why haven’t we already seen positive results?

The mental decline that has taken place while we have increased our push for schooling is not coincidence. There are numerous indications that the schools are causing legitimate mental harm. To do well in school, it is far more valuable to think what your teacher wants you to think rather than have your own thoughts that may be unacceptable in their eyes. Independent thought is detrimental to grades.

The schools are dumbing down society. Even their supporters are acknowledging the problems that they are causing. Although they are not putting the pieces together, please remember that these people are correct when they insist that our over-schooled world is imbecilic.

No comments:

Post a Comment