Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Educational Freedom Day

Learning is discouraged 365 days in a typical year. I would like to correct these 365 days, but perhaps we can start with one. Out of a lack for a better name, I will call it Educational Freedom Day.

Educational Freedom Day could be viewed as a practical holiday. By that, I mean that people should see more from the day than just a little time away from work. While most people would have time off, others would be responsible for making resources available. For example, libraries could stay open. Some businesses might make computers (without confidential information stored) available to the public.

To help promote educational rights, I want this day to be in the middle of the school year. This would provide a better contrast between educational rights and the restrictive schooling process. Perhaps a Wednesday would be best.

I think that the retail industry could be an ally. Stores sell resources such as computers and books. If timed for the stores’ slow season, they might be willing to embrace the days leading up to Educational Freedom Day for sales. This could provide publicity for the concept.

At this point in time, I haven’t shared this concept with very many people. Until I see some support for the concept, it will remain in text form only. Even if I do see some support, this is still a little too conceptual. I have no way of knowing if such an idea would work as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment