Monday, January 31, 2011

Discouraged Learning

When I was in school, I had my calculator confiscated from me in a computer class because I was playing around with its programming features. I legitimately got into trouble for learning in class.

Since my miserable years trapped within our irresponsible and inexcusable schooling system, I have expressed an interest in learning. There are times when this desire diminishes due to societal pressure. One big argument that I have heard against me is that I could develop bad habits without someone looking over my shoulder. I will not voluntarily imprison myself in our schools. If I don’t learn on my own, I won’t learn.

I’m not alone. I have seen message boards online where people complain that they want to learn something but have too much schoolwork. I have seen signs that some students are struggling in school because they are learning the wrong things.

Even if you believe that learning is a part of the schools, there is no denying that independent learning is strongly discouraged in modern-day society. If you want to learn beyond what our schooling system can handle, the schools and their mindless supporters will get in your way. If you want a top-notch education, you will be treated like dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment