Thursday, May 26, 2022

Are my educational views extremist?

Extremism can be a bit more complicated than most people portray. There's a lot of subjectivity. There are different ways to measure. On top of that, the ideal is not always in the middle.

So am I an extremist? As I said, this is subjective. In the minds of some, I am an extremist. In the minds of others, I'm not. Personally, I don't mind being thought of as a pro-educational extremist.

There are a lot of people out there who allow our two-party political system to dictate the extremes. On the issue of education, these two parties are so close that you couldn't fit a piece of paper between them. I can assure anyone reading this that my views are not between these political parties. This measure would clearly result in me being labeled as an extremist.

What should the measure be for educational extremism? My instincts tell me that total educational control would be on one end, and total educational freedom would be on the other. While most Americans have been bickering over the best way for the government to maximize control, either by maximizing direct control or expanding control over non-governmental institutions, I'm clearly on the opposite side of the spectrum. People should be free to pursue the educations that are right for them. If, like most people, they learn best outside of a restrictive schooling environment, they should have the right to learn elsewhere.

Most people could be viewed as extremists in the sense that they want education to be tightly controlled and restricted by the government. I'm on the opposite end. If strongly opposing government-imposed educational constraints makes me an extremist, then I'm an extremist. I'm perfectly fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment