Saturday, September 12, 2020

Misconception #108: Education is a right in America

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


There is a big difference between treating education as a right and forcing children through schools. Unfortunately, a lot of Americans seriously struggle with this reality. We dump a fortune of taxpayer funds into schools, therefore, they believe we are treating education as a right.

There are multiple ways to view rights. Forcing children to do something against their will does not meet any definition that I know. To me, a right is something that we should not allow others to take away from us. I have already mentioned how two contradictory meanings of education have emerged. Even if you define education as schooling, this does not qualify as a right. It's forceful and detrimental to freedom and various other rights of children. This includes the right to think, the right to be an individual, the right to live a mentally healthy lifestyle, and the right to have a say in their own lives.

If you're like me, you view education more as mental development. This is essentially the opposite of schooling. Schools embrace a foundation built to impair mental development. It is impossible to become truly educated while being forced to attend government-run schools.

Instead of treating education as a human right, our schools prove that we are hostile to the concept. Depriving children of fundamental human rights should never be classified as a human right. If we really want to treat education as a right in America, we have no other choice than to dismantle our disastrous schooling system.

No comments:

Post a Comment