Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Misconception #99: Everything teachers do is for the children

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


I have already touched on this, but I'm going to speak broadly this time. Teachers love to say that pretty much everything they do is "for the children." This is absolute nonsense. I can't think of a single thing that they actually do "for the children."

When teachers ask for money "for the children," their primary concern is earning more money for themselves. When teachers ask for smaller class sizes "for the children," they are trying to reduce their workload. Illegal teacher strikes "for the children" are all about forcing their demands.

When children are actually involved in the actions "for the children," the children are consistently being harmed. Destroying the minds of American youth "for the children" is certainly not truly for the children. Of course, teachers will never argue that they're destroying minds "for the children." And why is that? Because teachers consistently take education for granted. This tendency to take education for granted is certainly not "for the children."

What teachers are doing is consistently for themselves. They don't care about children nearly as much as they care about how others perceive them. Saying that everything is "for the children" may make them look good, but some of us know better. If they truly cared about the children, they would take a look at the implications of their actions. They would stop taking education for granted. They would end their war on children that they improperly claim is "for the children."

No comments:

Post a Comment