Friday, March 15, 2019

Practical Learning

How would I describe my learning style? I could go back to some previous posts. I learn by doing like everybody else. I am also more independent than most. I can also deviate from previous posts and talk about practical learning.



The idea behind practical learning is that I tend to teach myself as I see value in certain lessons. Technically speaking, this is true for most people. Unfortunately, the schools frequently intervene, disrupting any practical learning.

The approach taken by the schools is highly contrary to this concept. They try to get students to learn ahead of exposure to practical usage. There are serious problems with this approach. For starters, this approach deviates from practicality. Not everything the schools promote will be used outside of the schools. Individualism is another concern. Practical learning allows individuals to pursue skills and abilities that they are personally more likely to use.

Another issue with the schools is that their attempts to push ahead actually cause delays in important learning. If you need to learn a new skill, you are expected to wait for a class. To learn anything new to society, you have to wait for classes to be developed. Practical learning takes away the wait.

Even when the schools do succeed in teaching before it becomes time to use a skill, they develop bad educational habits. If everything you have ever learned has come from a school, you will become less likely to learn on your own. You become more likely to wait for classes before learning.

I could continue on about some of the nuances of how I learn, but I honestly can't think of much right now of value that I haven't already discussed. I have even reached the point that I should be able to take some time away from this topic. For now, this series can be considered complete. Like other topics, I can always come back if I find more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment