Sunday, March 24, 2019

Misconception #94: We need to finish our educations

Several years ago, David Karp made headlines when Tumblr was sold to Yahoo for a billion dollars. David Karp is the dropout behind that website. I remember going online and reading comments. One that stood out to me was someone insisting that Karp should "finish his education." How can someone possibly finish an education?



The comment in question was based off an issue that I have already addressed. Many Americans fail to develop a proper understanding of how education differs from schooling. The argument made was likely telling Karp to go back to school.

I don't know him personally, but I strongly suspect that David Karp is better educated than most college graduates. That doesn't mean that there isn't more for him to learn. In fact, I can guarantee that there is more that all of us can still learn. Like us, he should always possess a desire to further his education.

Finishing an education implies that we should reach a point in which we are no longer pursuing more. There will always be more. Those who insist that they have completed their educations are selling themselves short. Nobody should ever view an education as complete. By contrast, I will have no issues if anyone tells me that they are done with schooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment