Monday, September 18, 2017

Misconception #78: Teaching is a higher calling

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


Many teachers insist that the profession is a higher calling. Essentially, they use this argument to say that they are better than you.

Who was responsible for pursuing the higher calling? Teachers weren't exactly drafted to perform by a higher power. They made the choice themselves. It's a stretch to refer to a choice people make for themselves as a calling.

Teaching is also a very low profession from a moral standpoint. Teachers cause significant mental harm with absolutely no proven benefits to society. How can that possibly qualify as a higher calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment