Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Are home schooled children too weird?

One of the more bizarre arguments that I have heard in favor of traditional schooling is that home schooled children and children who attended alternative schools are too weird. I didn't hear this one directly, which was probably for the best. This argument absolutely plays into an area of criticism that I have been hurling at teachers for years.


As I have stated repeatedly, teachers are completely intolerant of individuality. In this case, a teacher criticized students based off of deviation from her perspective of normalcy. She insisted that being different is a legitimate negative.

I'm proud to say that I do not fit her very rigid mold. Have you seen what it takes to be normal these days? I have actually used that word as an insult. I would much rather be thought of as weird. Similarly, I prefer to be thought of as an individual. This is why I have continuously refused to refer to myself as just another schooling-certified mindless drone. This teacher's precious mold is the real problem, not the people who fail to conform to her tight standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment