Sunday, January 1, 2017

Proudly Pro-Ed

While election season was in full swing, I added a secondary education blog. The secondary blog is an attempt to someday transform into a more social presence (if I can ever find a way to live a more social life) while maintaining this blog as a way to focus more on explaining my personal beliefs.


The reasoning behind the secondary blog started with Bernie Sanders and his terrifying idea for free college. Educational rights is a very important issue for me, and I couldn't stand the thought of further eroding the right to pursue an education free from the confines of a restrictive schooling environment.

Although I hate politics, I felt that I needed to bring up educational rights. I emailed different presidential campaigns (without much success) with the intent to post the responses as they arrived. When considering the nature of the potential posts, I started looking at benefits for pursuing a more social alternative.

While I have made a few posts on this blog regarding current events, they don't entirely fit with posts meant to explain my personal beliefs and opinions regarding the war between schooling and education. Essentially, such things as my schooling history do not seem to mix well with an attempt to open a discussion relating to a presidential campaign.

In addition to dividing posts based off of purpose, I had a lesser excuse to start a blog on a more social site. I have long expected someone to start using the hashtag #proudlyproed. The concern is that it could be teachers misusing the hashtag in defense of our anti-educational schooling system. I wanted to claim the hashtag for those who value true education above schooling.

One more thing came up when thinking about the potential split. If I ever developed a more social life, I would want to be able to evolve the new blog. My personal education blog (the one you are reading) would focus more on explaining my own beliefs, thoughts, and opinions. My social blog would focus more on current events, opening discussions, and maybe even allowing others to contribute (#proudlyproed hashtag and attaching additional bloggers).

I now have a Tumble blog at: http://proudlyproed.tumblr.com. I might add a document to help transition between these two blogs. Let me summarize the differences between how the two will be used.


War Between Schooling and EducationProudly Pro-Ed
Content includes explanations of my beliefs, personal encounters and experiences, why I do not believe in schoolingContent includes current events, attempts at opening discussion, quick comments meant to promote thought regarding the subject
I will be the only person ever writing postsCurrently, I will be the only person writing, but I will be more open to resharing other people's posts, utilizing hashtags, perhaps even adding additional bloggers in the future
Posts are almost entirely meant to be readPosts are more open to resharing, and the community is better set up for replies
Longer postsMixed post lengths, including the possibility of some one-sentence posts
Somewhat reliable, included in my normal writing rotationMost posts will be spur of the moment, but I may force myself to write on occasion to ensure activity
Topics mostly emerge from brainstormingTopics may emerge from Internet articles, comments, and other quick sources

No comments:

Post a Comment