Thursday, July 7, 2016

How my defining beliefs relate to schooling

I have said before that half the items on my list of defining beliefs can be tied directly to the schools. I have decided to look through this list and actually see which of these beliefs address issues I have with the schools and why. If I wanted to, I could probably find a way to tie all of my beliefs to the schools, but I'm not going to look for weak links. See the quick summaries below.

Self-evaluations can always lead to improvement.

No obvious link


Mindlessness is my biggest fear.

This belief is aimed directly at the schools. I have repeatedly stated that the reason I didn't go to college was because I was unwilling to make the mental sacrifices required. I spent about a year in a community college and found the environment to be just as mind-numbing as high school.


It is better to be a good person than appear to be a good person.

I am kind of mad at myself for my decision to stay in school. I would be a better person today if I had found the courage to drop out. The schools promote a form of selfishness, and products of the schools typically trade decency for negative traits. This belief clearly relates to issues that I have with the schools.


Neutrality is impossible.

I could easily make arguments about the schools' lack of neutrality and their insistence that they are above their own acts, but I don't think that fits the purpose of this post.


In the ideal world, no two people are alike.

This beliefs is another one that is clearly aimed at the schools. The schools are intolerant of individuality. Because of how detrimental the schools have been to individuality, I had to add the part about the ideal world just because of how much individuality has taken a hit due to our destructive schooling system.


Thought should not be restricted by words.

I would say that this is another belief that can't be tied directly to the schools, but I can certainly say that this form of though is incompatible with our schooling model.


The first time is more valuable than the hundredth.

Technically speaking, this was aimed more at certain forms of mental exercises than the schools. A lot of time, the important thing is figuring out how to do the exercises in the first place. After that, you apply what you already figured out rather than coming up new thoughts. Despite the fact that this was not aimed at the schools, it can still be directly connected to the process. The schools are heavily reliant on repetition. This leads to memorizing facts rather than developing a deeper understanding of a subject.


A common belief among all is not proof.

My whole life, I have heard the pro-schooling/anti-educational propaganda that everybody seems to believe. Although this is not the only issue where I openly disagree with the mainstream, I will not let others convince me to accept the impossible narrative.


True knowledge does not exist.

This is directly aimed at the schools. The schooling process relies heavily on memorizing facts. A lot of the facts are false or misleading. Education should be deeper than shared knowledge. Instead, I prefer practical understanding.

Teaching and learning refer to the same process.

I think this one is clear that it is tied to our schooling system. Teachers insist that they are trying to teach, but their approach is detrimental to independent learning. Ultimately, learning requires the learner to teach himself or herself. The teachers' approach is harmful to true learning.

Happiness is the ultimate goal in life.

Although schooling can be detrimental to the pursuit of happiness, I would say this belief is not directly connected to the schools.

You have to be in a situation to know how you would deal with it.

This is another belief that I do not feel is directly related to our schools.

Intelligence cannot be measured.

In a word, grades. A lot of people cite grades to prove intelligence, although there are far more significant influences on an individual's schooling performance. Imbeciles can get straight A's. More obviously, geniuses are not guaranteed to pass their classes. Although IQ testing is a more obvious connection to this belief, the schools can clearly be viewed as a major target.

Who I am is more important than what I am.

This belief is related more toward the job market than schooling.

Those who want to learn should be allowed to do so with as little restriction as possible.

This is a summary of my educational beliefs. Schooling is directly targeted by this belief as the process is educationally restrictive, and the belief was formed primarily due to my desire to move away from our catastrophe of a schooling system.

The present and future are more valuable than the past.

Let's say this one qualifies as a belief connected to the schools, although there are certainly other influences. More specifically, it can be connected to history. That class has minimal practical value (especially when added to the idea that true knowledge does not exist).

You should never rely on others to tell you how you prefer to do things.

This is another obvious connection. Teachers don't just tell you facts. They push the "right way" to do various tasks. Usually, the right way is remembering the right steps to come to a conclusion rather than practical understanding. If your ideal approach to a task does not fit the only method supported by the teaching profession, you will have to settle for less than ideal.

True education is a need.

Do you see the word, "True?" That's specifically added to clarify that I'm not talking about the schools. The idea here is to clarify that education is a need rather than our anti-educational schooling system. This belief is a direct attack on our schools.

Nobody will ever be better at being you than you.

Although I could tie this to the schools attacks on individuality, I do not feel that this qualifies as being directly connected to our schools.

It's better to prevent problems than to wait until it's too late.

I would say that this belief also does not qualify as an anti-schooling belief, although mental health was a consideration for the development of the belief.

Mini-summary
I counted 12 out of 20 beliefs that can clearly be tied to issues that I have with the schools. Some might not be as solid as others, but I could tie all of them to the process if I really wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment