Monday, May 9, 2016

My former school praised

In the past, I created a series of posts based off of my schooling history. Each of my schools (with the exception of the school responsible for a monitored homeschooling program) maintained blatantly anti-educational values. Recently, both traditional high schools in my old district, including the school I attended in my Freshman and Sophomore year, made the U.S. News list of best public high schools.

I'm not going to repeat what I already posted with my schooling history. I just want to emphasize one very obvious reality regarding the school district in which I grew up. They were engaged in an all-out war on education. This was constant from Kindergarten through eleventh grade, when I finally fled the traditional model. They have never even acknowledged their enormous problems, and I highly doubt they could have made the changes they desperately needed without anybody noticing. There is no doubt in my mind that they have kept the war going.

The list I saw required several criteria just to be ranked. My former school was not only in the rankings, but they received a silver along with the other traditional high school. The alternative school that I graduated from and was more tolerant of education did not qualify for the rankings. I think it's safe to say that the U.S. News lost a lot of credibility.

I hesitate to say which schools I attended since all indications have been that the problems I encountered were widespread. I spent one year in a community college as part of the Running Start program and had the exact same problems.

The idea that both traditional high schools in such a corrupt and destructive school district could make their list says a lot, and none of it is good. I guess this can be viewed as a lesson for other schools. If you want your school to be considered one of the better public schools, fight education at all costs. You will be praised for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment