Monday, December 21, 2015

Misconception #53: Schooling is a need

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


One of the many arguments people make to support our schools is that education is a need. That's true, but keep in mind that schooling and education are two different things. While education is a need, schooling is not.

This relates to my arguments about how education has been redefined to refer to our anti-educational schooling system. When most people argue about how education is a need, they quickly discuss how important it is that we support our schools rather than true education.

There are a lot of people who think correctly when they refer to education as a need, but they confuse the two meanings of education. They feel that if you view education, in this case true education, as a need, you must support education, in this case schooling. They never establish if supporting the process frequently referred to as education would provide benefits to the necessity of true education. This is a significant gap in the logic for school supporters and teacher loyalists.

When it comes to whether or not schooling is a need, simply ask one question. Can we survive without them? Considering humanity was doing well from a survival perspective long before the schools were first conceived, I don't see how schooling can qualify. In fact, I believe that humanity was in better shape prior to our push to control and restrict education. We were more free to think for ourselves and contribute new ideas to society. We had more rights. Humanity was actually progressing.

Thanks to our schools, we are now all the same mindless zombies content to live our lives as mental slaves. If our species ever faces an unforeseen threat, our survival might be even tougher because we have become so weak in the development of new ideas. Ultimately, the schools have been a catastrophe to quality of life and even a potential threat if we can embrace abstract concepts. This is not something that should be considered a need.

No comments:

Post a Comment