Saturday, August 29, 2015

Would I hire a dropout?

Early last year, the Seattle Times asked readers if they would consider hiring a dropout. Although I don't normally respond to these sorts of articles, I couldn't help myself. I'm not sure I submitted fast enough for consideration because I didn't originally notice the article for their question of the week. That wouldn't have mattered anyway because I never saw any kind of follow-up from the Seattle Times. Since I recently found the message that I sent to the Seattle Times, I feel like I should share it here.

One of the most troubling components of the modern world is the blatant discrimination aimed at those who learn outside the confines of a rigid schooling environment.
There are a lot of brilliant dropouts throughout history. Imagine a world where Benjamin Franklin would not have been allowed to make his discoveries regarding electricity. Imagine a world where Thomas Edison would not have been allowed to become the most accomplished inventor in American history. Imagine a world where the Wright brothers were not allowed to introduce the world to the possibilities of air travel. All of these people were dropouts.
The hard push for schools has corresponded with a drastic decline in the rate of progress in society. People no longer care about what others are capable of accomplishing. All that matters is a piece of paper that says the schools approve of them. 
If I had a business, I would not discriminate against those who pursue an education outside of school. In fact, I wouldn’t want schooling history (consistently mislabeled as education) on the application. I would much rather judge people based off of what they can contribute. 
There’s something else I would do. I would maintain a schooling-free path to the top. There are amazing people out there who have great potential but simply do not fit well in the schooling model. I personally find it inexcusable to prohibit highly capable individuals from succeeding just because the schools don’t approve of how they learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment