Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Misconception #46: Students need to respect their teachers

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


When I was in school, each teacher had a set of classroom rules. Each teacher told students to respect other students and their teacher. All of these teachers were above their own rules.

I feel that people generally need to show respect for each other, but this is not absolute. It is wrong to force people to show respect to those who do not deserve it. I personally refuse to demand that children respect the world's most disrespectful and abusive profession.

When it comes to respect between teachers and students, there is a bit of a chicken or egg scenario going on. A lot of people talk about how problems in school start with the students' disrespect for their teachers. I believe that the disrespect actually starts with the teachers. This erodes the respect the students show for their teachers. Before a teacher demands the respect that they claim to deserve, I highly recommend that they show some respect themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment