Thursday, May 22, 2014

Importance of literacy

I can definitely see a benefit in everybody knowing how to read and write. I value literacy. Even so, I'm not entirely convinced that it's as important as everybody seems to insist.


I'm not trying to make up excuses for illiteracy because there really are none. The issue I have is that I feel that literacy is lower on my list of priorities than most people's.

One of my criticisms of our schools is that we are sacrificing thought in hopes of gaining in literacy. I have never seen any legitimate evidence that the schools are benefiting literacy rates, but there is no denying that the schools train their students to turn to others for their thoughts, beliefs, and opinions.

Literacy is very important, but it's not that important. We need independent thought far more.

No comments:

Post a Comment