Thursday, December 19, 2013

Misconception #36: Grades reflect intelligence

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


It’s widely believed that you have to be intelligent to get straight A’s. It’s also widely believed that people who lack intelligence are likely to fail. There are a lot of factors that go into grades, and we should not assume that there is a direct relationship.

My personal experiences contradict this belief. In my earlier school years, I was upset every time I received a grade as low as a B. I was consistently the top student in math. Eventually, I realized that I couldn’t think for myself. I was not even remotely intelligent. I tried to address this problem, and my grades dropped.

We can also look through history. I think that it’s safe to say that guys like Thomas Edison were far more intelligent than your average A student, and he was a failure in school. It appears that success in school actually has an inverse relationship with intelligence.

Like I said, it’s not a direct relationship. While I have met numerous “good” students who seemed a bit lacking mentally even when compared to most failures, there are other factors. Regardless, I will never accept grades as proof that someone is intelligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment