Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What was in it for me?

After surviving our torturous schooling system, I started second guessing myself. I still don’t fully understand what was in it for me. Sure, I avoided the discrimination aimed at dropouts, but this is the only positive I can think of. Can I really count avoiding a negative created by the schools as a positive for graduating from the process?

Like I have said before, I am a certified mindless drone. Oh, how I hate admitting to that. I endured mental and emotional abuse. I partially abandoned individuality and my personal strengths. I sacrificed human decency. All of this for a piece of paper. I wasted time and effort that would have been better spent pursuing an education.

Was it worth it? After looking hard for an answer to that question, I have to say that I honestly don’t think so. I have cowardly hidden behind my diploma. Without it, I would have to stand out for my strengths and beliefs. I would have to stop pretending to be someone less than I really am. If I had never graduated from high school, I would be a much better person today.

No comments:

Post a Comment