Thursday, May 3, 2012

Promoting alternatives

Did you know that there are alternatives to traditional schools? If you graduated from a traditional school, you were probably never made aware of your options. I wasn’t until it was established that I could no longer handle traditional mental destruction.

There are actually a lot of alternatives, including alternative high schools and homeschooling. After I fled the traditional approach, I wound up in a monitored homeschooling program through an alternative high school. During this time, I was encountered a partial restoration of my educational rights that past teachers had cruelly seized from me.

Why did it take failure in the traditional model before I was informed that alternatives existed? One single approach is definitely not ideal for 100% of the population. Even if you believe that our schools benefit society, you still have to realize that children vary enough to justify more than a single approach to the process.

I believe that it would be an improvement if students and parents would be provided with information regarding educational options and picked the approach based on what works best for the student. Personally, I would have been better off if I had been unschooled. Why did no one inform me that I had an opportunity to take control over my own education without retribution from an unending series of arrogant teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment