Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sacrificing Grades for Mental Ability

I used to be the kind of student who would be upset with every B on his report card despite total mindlessness on his part. Then I learned how to think. The problem with learning how to think is that it takes time and effort. A lot of that time and effort came at the cost of schoolwork both in and out of the classroom. Teachers don’t appreciate it. It’s harder to finish up homework. Ultimately, I was punished with low grades, mistreatment from my teachers, and occasional public embarrassment.

Nothing got me into more trouble during my school years than thinking and learning in class. While this might not be as obvious as when I had my calculator taken from me, it became a serious problem. As my mental abilities improved, my grades plummeted. As far as I’m aware, there is no better way to get on a teacher's bad side than learning in class.

My mental improvement corresponding with lower grades was not a coincidence. Schooling is about thinking what your teachers want you to think. If you are thinking for yourself, you will deviate from the lesson plans. Also, mental improvement is a legitimate distraction to the schooling process.

Sorry about being crude, but screw my GPA. There are far more important things in this world than grades. Being capable of thinking for yourself is among them. Providing yourself with a healthy education is another. When I started to think for myself, grades were no longer a priority for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment