Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Noun is a Person, Place, or Thing… Part Twelve

One frustration that came up during English classes was the repetitive repetition that was too repetitive for me to handle the repetition. Hopefully, that sentence made enough sense that I don’t have to repeat myself.

To be more specific, the clichĂ© used to define a noun came up every year. “A noun is a person, place, or thing.” I knew that in kindergarten. I knew that in later elementary school grades. I knew that in middle school. I knew that in high school.

One of the reasons that I left high school for the running start program was to get away from having to deal with the same thing over and over and over again. You can’t get into college without knowing what a noun is, so I could finally get away from this lesson. I was wrong. Even in college, “A noun is a person, place, or thing.”

Our schooling system: kindergarten followed by twelve years of repeating kindergarten. That’s not good for progress, and that’s not good for progress. And it’s not even a good definition. Do you really think that repetition, frustration, mindlessness fit that definition? The refusal (noun) to allow progress (another noun) is among the reasons (yet another noun) that I am such a horrible writer. My writing might even be viewed as torture (what is with all these nouns?) for some. If you are among those who view my writing as torture, please reread this post twelve times to get a sense of what I went through during school.

No comments:

Post a Comment