Thursday, February 9, 2012

Misconception #15: Money will magically fix everything

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


Whenever anyone mentions problems that they have with the schools, we insist that money is the solution. This attitude is a big part of the reason that the schools are moving so much money around today. Even as our spending increases, the problems remain. One of the things that we don’t seem to realize is that we need to understand the problems before we can fix them. Spending money without that understanding will never be anything more than an ineffective quick fix.

Our schooling system is not just coping with a couple of minor inefficiencies. The entire system is built off of anti-educational values. When we throw money at them, we are reinvesting in our mistakes. This makes our educational situation worse while simultaneously harming our financial situation.

Even when you are targeting specific problems, spending money is likely to backfire. If you provide increased funding without trying to figure out how to actually solve a problem, you could very well be increasing funds to the problem itself.

Increasing funds for problems encountered also provides a disincentive. Let me ask you something. Imagine that your boss told you that if you fail to do your work, you will be given increased financial incentive such as a raise. Do you think that you would try to do your work properly, or allow yourself to fail? As long as we keep increasing our spending on our anti-educational schooling system for failing to educate, we are not going to convince the people who are calling the shots to introduce education into the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment