Friday, June 10, 2011

Misconception #6: Schooling is for intellectuals

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


A lot of people view schooling as an intellectual pursuit. The schools rely on a pace that reflects expectations of mental inadequacy, and they assume that students absolutely need them for and mental development. The schools are built around the idea that students are imbeciles.

If you are intelligent, the schools will not meet your needs. In fact, they will actually get in your way and legitimately cause mental harm. With the focus of the schools aimed at those who lack brainpower, intellects will never thrive in the schooling environment. There is a very good chance that they will fail.

Schooling is, in reality, for the dumb. The speed and methods are geared primarily to allow them to keep up (and to slow faster students down) in an attempt to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to contribute to society. The dumber students benefit more from this approach far more than the more intelligent students.

No comments:

Post a Comment