Sunday, April 3, 2022

Misconception #120: Schools are fundamental to democracy

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


The concept of democracy is dependent on the idea that the voices of different people come together to make decisions regarding how the government functions and who leads. Ideally, voters are properly informed and understand the issues. Many people view schools as the key to making this a reality.

The truth is that our schools are actually undermining democracy. Instead of informing voters who make decisions for themselves, authoritarian teachers are molding and manipulating the minds of future voters. This gives teachers a disproportionately large voice in a government that should have equal representation.

Our schooling system provides the vast majority of the population with a common influence. The system promotes mindless conformity. Democracy requires diverse viewpoints to function properly. The schools are mentally destructive, essentially destroying mental diversity.

Shoving everyone into a mold by threatening to destroy futures is not good for democracy. Forcing future voters to show obedience to authoritarian figures is not good for democracy. Subjecting children to extreme intolerance is not good for democracy. Obviously, our disastrous schooling system is not good for democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment