Friday, November 6, 2020

Fun with Excel: College Subsidies I

I'm going to start a new Excel series. This one will reflect how college subsidies can appear beneficial while ultimately causing harm. This first post will be very basic.

My initial spreadsheet can be found at: College Subsidies I.xlsx

I have copied a table with each state's population. I also added a table to set goals for benefits and harm. These goals could be viewed as percentages. The idea is that I can enter an amount to calculate a share of each state's influence on benefit and harm based off percentages. The general idea here is to establish each state's share of the good and harm cause by credentials based on their influence. The influence is based on their share of the population.

Feel free to download this spreadsheet and play with the benefit and harm values. A total will be calculated to show the overall impact of your setting on the value of credentials. In the setup that I used, Benefits are set at 100%. Harm is set at 200%. This results in an overall of -100%. Note: Harm should be entered as a negative.

For now, this is little more than preparing for future updates. I will be adding details in future updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment