Sunday, October 6, 2019

I gave in to bullying

When I was in school, all of my teachers pushed a common message. Don't learn. After I left the mental prison system, I encountered a familiar message. Don't learn.



My whole life, everybody around me has pushed the idea that it's wrong for me to learn. Deep down, I wanted to learn. The aggressive anti-learning dialog, which could be viewed as a form of bullying, took a serious toll on me. I didn't have it in me to keep fighting. I gave up.

I have certainly made my share of mistakes over the years. Giving in to anti-educational bullies is one of them. You don't stop bullying by proving that it's effective. That is precisely what I did.

I never should have abandoned my educational interest. I should have found a way to keep fighting. Instead, I validated wrongdoing. Others are more likely to encounter the same unhealthy dialog thanks to my cowardice. I am also less educated than I would like as a result.

Perhaps there will be a day in which I can address my boneheaded mistake. Honestly, I still want to learn. Now that I am entrenched in an educationally passive lifestyle, fixing this problem has become more difficult. I would need more courage today than when I conceded in the past. Bullies are still there, and we're living in a change-intolerant society. On top of all that, I don't know how I could find time between all of my personal projects.

At the very least, I need to keep my eyes open. If I see a solid restorative opportunity, I absolutely need to embrace it. If I can find it, I might be able to correct one of my biggest mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment