Thursday, July 12, 2018

Stereotypical Student: Testing V

This intentionally corny series of posts makes fun of the schools by providing an obviously fictional diary of a student who fits many stereotypes.


Entry #22


I am about to start middle school. One of the first things demanded of us is testing. My new school wants to know what level of work we should be doing so that they can put us in the right classes.

In math, I have learned that I am about half way between general expectations and the next level up. That means that I will be starting at the lowest level expected for students my age. I should have a slight head start over the class, which means that I should have an easier time learning what they have told me I have already learned. This should help my grades. Okay, so maybe it's not really a head start. Most students who qualify for this class will start above the absolute minimum requirements.

This is the latest proof of testing value that I have seen. My performance throughout my elementary school years certainly can't compare with the value of a quick number. This is why we weigh decisions so heavily on testing. Not only that, but we all know that all students are strictly at grade level, advanced, or remedial for each subject. Finding out at which one of these three precise levels every individual child must fit makes a lot of sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment