Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Misconception: Teacher are infallible (Removed from master list)

While looking through my list of misconceptions regarding the schooling process, I discovered two entries that could be considered duplicates. I have decided to remove this misconception, which was also covered by Misconception #51. I have not deleted this post, but the numbering has been reclaimed. Misconception #84 will now be used for a different post.

I have read numerous stories online that indicate a possibility of wrongdoing by teachers. Whenever I read comments about these stories, a common theme seems to emerge. People overwhelmingly support teachers for no reason other than their profession.

Usually, these stories omit important information. They are insufficient to establish whether a teacher is right or wrong. The mainstream has become so loyal to the teaching profession that they jump to conclusions. Certain fact are assumed to be true because the teachers has to be right and made up information can sometimes provide the best explanations.

If the teachers are right, then someone else must be wrong. Assigning guilt to parents is perhaps the most popular approach. Again, these articles usually fail to provide enough information to know what really happened and why. If there is any conflict between a parent and a teacher, it is assumed that the holy teaching profession is innocent and the parents must be guilty.

Teachers are certainly capable of doing wrong. It is remarkable just how difficult it has become for most people to realize it. I haven't taken extensive notes when I catch these assumptions, so I really can't provide examples, but I have certainly read pro-teacher assumptions that turned out to be false.

No comments:

Post a Comment