Monday, October 30, 2017

Misconception #80: Nobody should be allowed to learn because not everybody wants to

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


One of the problems with the mainstream's blind loyalty to the teaching profession is that people are quick to defend the profession without bothering to think first. They end up with bizarre arguments, and they seem unaware of their own arguments that they are making.

I once made an online comment about how my teachers prevented me from learning and how we should allow kids to learn if they want to learn. Someone responded in the defense of teachers by insisting that we need the schools because most people don't want to learn. In other words, the idea that learning was not allowed was because not everybody wanted to learn.

I really hope common sense is sufficient for most people to understand how this argument is flawed. Fortunately, I don't hear it often. Quite frankly, I'm hopeful that the person making the argument didn't understand his or her own comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment