Monday, October 9, 2017

Misconception #79: Teachers are underpaid

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


While salary is certainly not the biggest concern typically shown by teachers, it's clear that teachers care about this issue. One of their favorite tactics to get what they want is to insist that they are seriously underpaid. This argument is absolutely reliant on their own perceptions of the compensation they deserve.

Most salaries reflect the value an individual provides to a business or organization. In the case of teachers, they are ultimately paid with money taken from taxpayers. In order to establish teaching as an underpaid profession, you need to prove that taxpayers are definitively getting more from teachers than you would expect from the finances provided. In a broader scope, is society getting more or less than its money's worth from the teaching profession?

The bottom line on this issue is that teachers have actually been detrimental to society. They rob innocent children of fundamental human rights such as the right to pursue a healthy education. In the process, they are causing these children significant mental and emotional harm.

Teaching has negative value to society. If anything, teachers should be paying for their destructive acts. For their behavior, I can confidently refer to teaching as an overpaid profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment