Thursday, April 27, 2017

Misconception #72: Teachers are only in it for the money

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


Teachers always seem to be fighting for higher pay. Half their "for the children" battles rely heavily on teachers asking for more money. Because of how hard teachers fight to improve their own financial situations, many people have come to the conclusion that teachers are only in it for the money.

This is going to lead to some redundancies. I have already explained how teachers are concerned primarily with their egos. This is why people are wrong when they say that teachers do everything for the children. It's also why people are wrong when they say that teachers only care about money.

Teachers want to feel vital to society. They like to think that the world would collapse without their intervention. They want others to look up to them for the good that they are perceived to be doing. They even want to convince themselves that they are great people.

This could be viewed as one of the rare instances when I am actually in agreement with the teaching profession. Money is certainly not the primary reason that people join the teaching profession. Teachers might disapprove of my reasoning, but they will agree when I say that they aren't in the profession just to make some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment