Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Misconception #4: Teachers don't get respect

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


Early on, when writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process, I included something that was not technically wrong. This was the belief that teachers don't get the respect that they deserve. This was actually a combination of two misconceptions that I have decided to split. This includes the belief that teachers deserve a significant amount of respect and the belief that teachers don't get respect. The original post can still be found at: http://maritimeorca1.blogspot.com/2011/05/misconception-4-teachers-dont-get.html

We treat teachers as though they are single-handedly responsible for all that is right for the world. Maybe a few people don’t treat them like that, but the overall support for our teachers is far from insignificant. For the most part, we put blind faith in their ability to make this world a better place. Many people view it as the most important profession around. Teachers have a lot of respect in this world.

I have seen all sorts of benefits provided to teachers. This includes special deals from retailers, teacher appreciation events, and even skewed portrayals of incidents involving teachers. The truth is, the mainstream currently worships teachers as though they are gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment