Thursday, January 7, 2016

Misconception #54: Teaching is a noble profession

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


"Noble" is a word I frequently hear people use while referring to teachers. Well, I guess we should understand what noble means before we can discuss whether or not this term fits. Here's a definition I found online from Oxford Dictionaries:
having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals
We have a profession consisting primarily of people who are interested in appearing honorable, but never bother to look into the true nature of their work. You could argue that teachers legitimately want to appear noble, but that's hardly an argument to apply the term to the profession.

As I keep saying, teaching is a mentally destructive profession. Anyone who is willing to look past the narrative can see this. Destroying minds does not display high moral principals and ideals. In fact, I feel that the schooling process is highly immoral. I have repeatedly referred to the process as mental genocide.

And why do teachers enter this immoral profession? It's because the profession makes them look good in the eyes of others. People think the profession is vital to education, and they feel that puts them above you in regards to societal contributions. They enter the profession because they care more about their reputations than they care about the consequences of their actions. In fact, they are so heavily concerned with their reputations, that they consistently fail to even consider the consequences of intervening in, controlling, and restricting mental development. That's hardly a fine personal quality.

Appearing noble is one of the reasons that teachers enter the despicable profession. Being noble is not. You can argue all you want about how they are commonly perceived as the basis for all education and mental development. For those of us who know anything about true education, we know better. Destroying minds for the sake of appearing noble is not noble. It's despicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment