Friday, March 13, 2015

Misconception #47: Everyone with a degree is better than everyone else

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


There are some people who try to prove their superior intellect over me by saying that they graduated college. I have been known to counter that I must be more intelligent because I didn't graduate.

I don't want to turn this into a cocky self-praise post, and I certainly don't want people trying to prove my point wrong by finding my faults. I know that I'm not perfect. I also know that I would be less capable mentally if I would have continued schooling.

Going even further, I have made no secret that I view intelligence as something that is impossible to measure. My anti-graduation comments as seen above are primarily used to show that I don't accept that argument that college graduates are more intelligent. In reality, intelligence can't be accurately measured by schooling history one way or the other (although the schools' demands for mental sacrifice should skew things in favor of those who have less schooling).

That's not all. People use collegiate history beyond just intelligence. They might push ideas such as work ethic or respectability. I have even heard people argue that college graduates are somehow automatically classy. Much like intelligence, schooling is not a valid measure of any of these traits.

There are a lot of good people who just don't fit our rigid schooling system. A lack of a college degree should be viewed as insufficient to jump to any conclusions. Similarly, there are numerous horrible incompetent college graduates out there. A college degree should not trump personality and ability.

A lot of people judge people on their schooling histories. College graduates are frequently assumed to be better than college dropouts. There are numerous people who view a college degree as legitimate proof of superiority. This is why a lot of people make a big deal out of graduating. For a degree to be legitimate proof of superiority, everyone with a degree must be better than every individual without one. I can assure you that they are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment