Saturday, October 25, 2014

Misconception #43: Schools are underfunded

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


I am openly critical of the McCleary decision. What this ruling claims is that Washington State is not meeting its constitutional obligation to fully fund education. The flaw with the ruling is that money is not the problem. Of course, this is not an argument confined to the state of Washington. Schools just about everywhere insist that they are underfunded.

The schools were built off of an anti-educational foundation. Whenever it's proven that the schools are failing to properly educate, something that they were not actually designed to do, we insist that the solution is more money. What happens when we give the schools more money? We enforce the foundation. Quality of education declines. We start the argument about funding all over again.

The United States spends over one trillion dollars every year on schooling. This is one of our biggest industries. The idea that they are underfunded is ridiculous. Increases in funding strengthens and rewards the schools for their anti-educational core. Throwing money at the schools isn't going to fix anything. This has repeatedly been proven by the numerous increases in funding over the years. Despite skyrocketing costs, quality of education is declining.

No comments:

Post a Comment