Monday, December 17, 2012

The cycle of boredom

When I was in school, one of my problems was burnout. I couldn’t handle the same lessons any more. It almost got to the point where I would have to repeat classes. Isn’t that a great way to address burnout?
Here’s what happens when you start struggling with boredom in school:
  1. Repetition leads to boredom.
  2. Increasing boredom makes it more difficult to motivate yourself to do schoolwork.
  3. The less schoolwork you complete, the lower your grades will likely become. 
  4. If those grades drop enough, you will be asked to repeat classes.
  5. Goto 1
There were other issues that kept me from succeeding in the mindless schooling process, but I should probably point something out. A lot of people think that if you fail a class, you should have to repeat it. While it is true that some people advance before they are ready, failure to grasp concepts is not the only thing that leads to problems in school. In many cases, repetition will legitimately make things worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment