Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Autobiography

During my freshman year, my hatred of schooling really took off. My thoughts frequently drifted to the numerous issues that I had with not being allowed to learn.

English is among the more subjective classes in school. I didn’t want to get on my teacher’s bad side for fear that it would hurt my grades. With my thoughts revolving around the mistakes that my teachers were making, turning in assignments was becoming risky. Without turning in assignments, I would fail.

My grade in English was turning into a problem. If I wanted to avoid failing, I had to turn in one last assignment. This assignment was an autobiography. With my largest chapter relating to my issues with the schooling process, I titled my work, “Jason Taylor Vs. the Schools.”

For such an important project, I was surprised by how little feedback we were offered. Most students were offered a couple sentences. I was offered half a page. In the extended comments that I received, I found little dealing with my writing. Instead, I read through a defense of the schools.

Grades reflect “demonstrated proficiency.” I spent some time fixated on this phrase written by my not-so-supportive English teacher. Never mind that I had teachers asking me for help. Apparently, that doesn’t show that you have demonstrated proficiency. I disputed this argument until I became distracted by something a little more noteworthy.

My teacher explained that it would be unfair to the rest of the class if he changed the lesson plans to meet my individual needs. He was right. More specifically, he was right within the limitations of a schooling environment. If he addressed my individual needs, he would have had to change the lesson plan for everyone, including those who are different from me. Since I am unique, those changes wouldn’t benefit anyone else.

He pointed me to a scary reality. If he can’t meet my needs because they are unique, and everybody’s needs are unique, then nobody is going to have their needs met by the schools. This was no longer about me. My focus shifted to the problems that the schools cause all students.

The schools’ inability to accommodate the needs of the individual became the foundation of my educational beliefs. The schools try to teach everyone the exact same thing in the exact same way at the exact same time. They have to aim low to ensure that all of their lessons are attainable by all. No student can learn efficiently, and no student can reach his or her potential under this model. My teacher might have had a nice way of saying that he can’t meet individual needs, but did he even realize what he was saying?

No comments:

Post a Comment