Monday, March 5, 2012

I Am Self-Educated

While I usually avoid labeling myself, there are a few labels that I am willing to embrace. Among those labels is “self-educated.” Yes, I graduated from a mindless drone factory, but I will not credit them for anything that I have learned. This is because my teachers did nothing more than get in my way. What I learned was my own responsibility.

I have been credited with a lot. Although I don’t remember details, I have been told that I taught myself how to read and write. I am pretty good at using Excel. How did I learn? I had access to a copy and played around with it. What I don’t know primarily consists of things that I have never found a need to know. If that need comes up, I have found that I am good at figuring things out.

Technically speaking, being self-educated is nothing unusual. Even if you can find assistance in learning, your education ultimately comes down to you teaching yourself. In other words, you are also self-educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment