Friday, July 29, 2011

Did I Really Like Math?

Whenever I was asked about what subject I enjoyed most in school, I wouldn’t hesitate to mention my performance in math. How much did I enjoy math? I would try to balance one pencil on top of another to address the boredom that I was feeling.

I let grades influence my opinions. I was usually the top student in my class. If I dropped to #2, it was usually due to a failure to complete homework. I had high enough scores that I didn’t need to finish my homework towards the end of class to receive the A. Being the top in the class had no practical benefits, and getting the best grade value was enough for me. I didn’t need to suffer through more schoolwork than the grade required.

To this day, I do find a degree of enjoyment in playing around with numbers. When I was in school, I let this enjoyment along with my grades convince me that I enjoyed math class. As I have learned more about myself over the years, I now realize that math only increased my frustrations with the schools. While math can be fun, math classes were frustratingly slow and dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment