Monday, April 11, 2011

Misconception #3: There are some good teachers out there.

Over the years, I have been writing about misconceptions regarding the schooling process. The purpose of these posts is to explain why I disagree with various comments that I have heard people make about schooling. These are meant as personal thoughts rather than conclusive proof, and I will admit that I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts. Regardless, I have decided that I should be willing to share these posts when I encounter someone online who makes an argument that I have already discussed.


Good teachers are a myth. I have heard a lot of the “He makes learning fun” arguments, but failing in an entertaining way is still failing. A sense of humor is insufficient to compensate for the destructive nature of the profession.

Nobody takes education for granted more than the teaching profession. If they truly believed in education, they wouldn’t enter the profession in the first place. They may insist that they became teachers in order to ensure that children receive a proper education, but they actually care more about convincing others that they believe in education. Unfortunately, a lot of these teachers don’t even know why they entered the profession because they lie to themselves.

Take a look at the background of teachers. We demand that teachers have college degrees if they want to enter the profession. What does that mean? Only individuals who will invest their own time, money, and effort in the system as it already exists will become teachers. In the end, teachers all share a single set of educational beliefs.

As I have said before, most of the problems with the schools are highly visible. Those who believe in education will see these flaws, and they will not willingly subject themselves to further schooling. As a result, those who have strong educational beliefs and ideas for improvements will not be allowed to enter the profession.

The problems with the schools are far deeper than the flaws of the teachers, but teachers ultimately have to agree to fulfill mentally destructive job duties. If there is a good teacher out there, he or she is certain to either quit or be fired. Such a teacher would also have to overcome past mistakes and realize that they have committed the bulk of their lives to fighting their own cause. If you are looking for a good teacher, I don’t think that’s something that you can rely on.

No comments:

Post a Comment